Here are the general guidelines of the essentials of Right Eating for those who are going through an exercise regimen:
(1) Meals to be had within 40 minutes before and after exercise. Longer gaps would lower energy levels.
(2) One should stay well hydrated during exercise by sipping a glass of water every 10 to 15 minutes.
(3) During intense exercise electrolytes should be added or beverages like lime juice and coconut water should be consumed.
(4) Supplement with antioxidants such as vitamin E, Vitamin C post exercise.
(5) One should never exercise on an empty stomach. In absence of carbohydrates the body will scavenge muscle for energy.
(6) No simple sugars (juices, biscuits, breads, bananas, sweet fruits) should be consumed before exercise. They give you instant energy but do not last long.
(7) Avoid fat and fiber as they may be too heavy to digest before exercise. (8) The pre and post exercise meals should be energizing but light.
(9) Do not opt for chicken, fish and red meat.
(10) Do not rely on second class plant proteins from soya, pulses or nuts as they are limiting in the essential amino acid methionine required for muscle repair.
(11) Choose fiber and good quality fats from cereals, pulses, nuts, fruits and vegetables but get first class protein only from animal sources such as milk products and egg whites.