Gadget Addicts Prone To Get Neck Pain
When we constantly use gadgets like mobiles, laptops, PCs, notebooks and tablets, we are prone to get neck pain.
Today, many patients are suffering neck pain from spending too much time hunched over phones and computers. The rise of smartphones and tablet computers has fuelled the problem. The extra capability for playing games and browsing the Internet on smartphones means they tend to be used for longer periods. And unlike laptops, tablet computers are often placed flat on the lap, meaning you crane your neck over to view the screen.
It is common to find people using their laptops for hours at a stretch. Smartphones now work as mini computers and it is not unusual to find people busy with their phones which are much more than simply a means of communication.
Orthopaedic surgeon Dr Ashish Arbat agrees advises that one should exercise one’s neck daily and stretch the cervical and trapezius muscle, with a healthy habit of sleeping supine straight, with balanced diet to prevent wry neck.
How to avoid such problems
- Use a chair of correct height so that your legs comfortably reach the floor.
- Table height and computer monitor height should be at your eye level so that you are not forced to adopt unphysiologic postures.
- Elbows should be well supported on armrest or table in front of you.
- Do not forget to blink your eyes intermittently to reduce eye fatigue.
- Change your posture every now and then and regular breaks in between.
- Stretch out all muscle groups whenever you have the opportunity.
- Regular stretching exercises are a must for people who sit for long hours. In case of problems like neck pain, see a doctor to rule out other non-postural causes.Once that is ruled out, one can look at changing habits and lifestyle as advocated above.