Mothers-to-be require an additional 300 kcal/day of nutrition each day. Especially, working pregnant women need to be extra careful about their diet because as the pregnancy advances the calorie requirement increases.
While on the move, they should always carry some snacks like a sandwich, chocolate bars, dry fruits, tetra packs of milk shakes and juices in their bag.
It is also advisable to re-plan their long working hours and take small breaks to rest. Don’t work till late hours in the night. A sound 8-9 hours of sleep is recommended to maintain good health.
Healthy diet for working pregnant women
- The diet of pregnant women should have basic ‘five food groups’. (Grain, vegetables, fruits, milk and meat, fish.)
- Snack on healthy items often and take small frequent meals.
- Drink plenty of fluids, as this will also help in avoiding and controlling nausea.
- Must take the prescribed supplements daily.
- Take plenty of milk and milk products. Paneer is a good substitute for milk.
- Increase protein intake in diet. Good sources of protein are non- veg, all pulses, egg, milk and milk products, soya bean.
- Have 2-3 fruits daily. Include coloured and citrus fruits like oranges, banana, mango, plums etc.
- Include green leafy and all coloured vegetables in your diet.