Liposuction, also known as lipoplasty, liposculpture suction lipectomy or simply lipo is a cosmetic surgery operation that removes fat from many different areas on the human body. Areas affected can range from the abdomen, thighs and buttocks, to the neck, backs of the arms and elsewhere.
Several factors limit the amount of fat that can be safely removed in one session. There are negative aspects to removing too much fat. Unusual “lumpiness” and/or “dents” in the skin can be seen in those patients “over-suctioned”. The more fat removed, the higher the surgical risk
The basic surgical challenge of any liposuction procedure is:
- To remove the right amount of fat
- To cause the least disturbance of neighboring tissue, such as blood vessels and connective tissue
- To leave the person’s fluid balance undisturbed
- To cause the least discomfort to the patient
As techniques have been refined, many ideas have emerged that have brought liposuction closer to being safe, easy, less uncomfortable, and effective.
Areas of the body where liposuction is performed:
- Outer thighs
- Inner thighs
- Inner knees
- Upper arms
- Submental (chin)
- Gynecomastia (male breast tissue)