Oral cancer is cancer of the mouth.Oral cancer is a subtype of head and neck cancer, is any cancerous tissue growth located in the oral cavity.
the Oral cancers may originate in any of the tissues of the mouth, and may be of varied histologic types: teratoma,adenocarcinoma derived from a major or minor salivary gland, lymphoma from tonsillar or other lymphoid tissue, or melanoma from the pigment-producing cells of the oral mucosa.
Mucous membrane lesion, lump, or ulcer:
- May be a deep, hard-edged crack in the tissue
- Most often pale colored, may be dark or discolored
- On the tongue, lip, or other mouth area
- Usually painless at first (may develop a burning sensation or pain when the tumor is advanced)
- Usually small
Additional symptoms that may be associated with this disease:
- Abnormal taste in the mouth
- Mouth sores
- Swallowing difficulty
- Tongue problems