Osteoporosis : Bone disease : Symptoms

Definition
In osteoporosis the bone mass in the body becomes reduced or porous like and the skeletal system of your body is deeply affected and brings about a lot of changes to your system.

Osteoporosis is defined as that category of decreased bone mass where the disturbance is a failure of the osteoblasts to lay down bone matrix. Three factors which influence osteoblastic activity are: steroidal hormones, mechanical stresses and strains, and nitrogenous building blocks.

Osteoporosis is often known as “the silent thief” because bone loss occurs without symptoms and the progressive loss and thinning of bone tissue happens over many years. This disease affects millions of people throughout the world. Women are four times more likely than men to develop the disease. Bones are living, growing tissue in the body. It is made mostly of collagen, a protein that provides a soft framework, and calcium phosphate, a mineral that adds strength and hardens the framework. This combination of collagen and calcium makes bone strong yet flexible to withstand stress. More than 99% of the body’s calcium is contained in the bones and teeth. The remaining 1% is found in the blood.

Symptoms

There are no symptoms in the early stages of the disease.
Symptoms occurring late in the disease include:

  1. Bone pain or tenderness
  2. Fractures with little or no trauma
  3. Loss of height (as much as 6 inches) over time
  4. Low back pain due to fractures of the spinal bones
  5. Neck pain due to fractures of the spinal bones
  6. Stooped posture or kyphosis, also called a “dowager’s hump”

You may also like: