Working pregnant women need to be extra careful about their diet because as the pregnancy advances the calorie requirement increases. While on the move, they should always carry some snacks like a sandwich, chocolate bars, dry fruits, tetra packs of milk shakes and juices in their bag. It is also advisable to re-plan their long working hours and take small breaks to rest. Don’t work till late hours in the night. A sound 8-9 hours of sleep is recommended to maintain good health.
Here is what working pregnant women should avoid:
(1) Avoid eating raw or partially cooked eggs, vegetables, meats, un-pasteurized milk, soft mould-ripened cheese as they carry the risk of giving salmonella and listeria infections.
(2) Avoid alcohol and drugs.
(3) Avoid caffeine as much as possible. Don’t take more than 300mg of caffeine in a day.
(4) Avoid active and passive smoking.
(5) Avoid alcohol and drugs.
(6) Avoid eating canned food as it has preservatives which can harm the baby.
(7) Avoid eating papaya as it contains enzymes Papain. Research has shown that they act like prostaglandin and oxytocin induced labour or strengthens labour contractions.
(8) Check with the doctor before taking vitamins and herbal products as some of these can be harmful.